Sunday, April 21, 2019

SHADOW AMONG SHEAVES By Naomi Stephens

Ruth and Boaz's story in the Bible has always been one of my favorites. Ruth being kind and loyal to her mother-in-law, making her promise to follow her and love her people and her God, and struggling in the fields to glean enough food to help them survive earns my admiration. Boaz coming to her aid, encouraging her, offering his protection, and finally becoming her kinsman redeemer deserves my utmost respect and their story is the ultimate real life romance.

Shadow Among Sheaves  loosely based on the story of Ruth and Boaz set during the time of India's bloody rebellion to Britain's Imperial rule, is an enthralling tale. Ms. Stephens does an excellent job of depicting the time period and culture of the time.

However, I must warn those lovers of  Christian Romance that they might find some offensive language, though not extreme. I believe if you can focus on the characters and their struggles you can find much redeeming qualities.

Rena is Hindu but has pledged to remain faithfully by her English mother-in-law's side after the death of their husbands, even leaving home and family behind to face much abuse and suffering in her new homeland.

I was very frustrated with Barric's treatment of her even as he reluctantly strived to assist her and Nell when he could. He continually set her in her place and even insulted her making sure she knew she was only a beggar at his mercy. It was hard to see his feelings for her and her's for him because their stubborn pride seemed more important and got in the way.

Finally, the climactic scenes where she throws herself on his mercy and has to wait to know the outcome are distressing to me. Even though, the finish is very satisfying, I am not sure how they ever arrive at it because of what Rena is forced to endure. Still I give it 4 stars as it is a better than average read. Thanks to Shiloh Run Press for allowing me to read this ebook through Netgalley. This review is my expressed honest opinion

No comments:

Post a Comment